CHEWY ALMONDY BISCUITS
Need something nice with a cuppa? Try my version of GAPS shortbread. It will fill a gap;-)
This recipe makes 8 cookies (yeah right, not in my house!) but I preferred to flatten it out and cut into 4 strips. I only made a small amount because a) I'd be lightly to eat the whole thing, and b) I have a history of burning things. So do what you prefer, either spoon into flat balls and see if you can make 8, I dare you! Or lets be realistic, you'll be lucky to get 4 strips! You could always just double the recipe too though:-)
Here's the recipe
1 cup of ground almonds
3 tbsp melted butter or coconut oil
Pinch of salt
2 tbsp maple syrup
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat your oven to 180F, 350 C, Gas Mark 4
2. Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl. Taste as you go, its just as delicious raw as it is cooked, but sweeter so don't panic if you think you added too much maple syrup!
3. Pile mixture into a greaseproof baking tray and flatten down to about 1/4 inch thick using the back of your fingers. Shape into a rectangle as best you can.
4. Bake for 8-10 minutes but keep a vigilant eye! These can burn pretty quickly so less is more!
5. Remove from oven and leave to cool COMPLETELY! (Not like me - mine were nearly cooled I swear but couldn't resist, so it crumbled a bit when I cut it up. However I did eat a second one a bit later and ok...its not ACTUAL crumbly shortbread but its sweet and chewy and yum!)
NOTE: You can substitute maple syrup for honey, or add a few drops of almond extract for extra almondy flavour! Needless to say, a little drizzle of bitter dark chocolate (which wouldnt make it GAPS legal but hey) would be delicious!